Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

This quote from Mary Oliver is the question that has been playing over and over in my mind this past week.  I turned 37 Sunday and every unaccomplished goal is staring me straight in the face.  My brother and I have been talking about temperament lately and I have come to realize that a lot of the negative traits of my secondary temperament have usurped the positive traits of my primary temperament.  When I told him how mad this made me what do you think his remark was???  "Good, does it motivate you?"  Good grief...he could have been more gentle!  But the fact is, it did motivate me and will spur me to live life to the fullest. 

Oh, oh, where are more dandelions???

So, what AM I going to do with this one wild and precious life that has been given to me...a pure gift?  I can't waste it and in many ways it can seem that it is being wasted.  Some of the more superficial things that I plan on doing this year is complete a triathlon....hike in Glacier with my kiddos....visit a special friend at least once a week....enjoy an evening out with one of my cherubs every week (even if it is only the grocery store ~ there's always DQ to stop by and make the trip special)...add an extra Mass during the week, even if it is by myself....and a few others that will remain near to my heart, or as Shannon would say, "Hold 'em close to the vest."  Well, now that it's written down, they have to be accomplished! 

All last week the forecast was for rain on the weekend so when we awoke to blue skies and sunshine I KNEW it was just for me. The sunshine and green grass after so many months of snow and brown mud was tonic for the soul! My sis and her family were generous enough to spend the day with us and Shannon made sure the whole universe revolved around me...not that I am entirely comfortable with that!  The rain came and drenched us later but all was good...that clean, beautiful smell that only comes after the rain.  As we drove home I felt renewed.  What an awesome beginning to a new year, not feeling a year older, but feeling blessed with a precious gift. 



My favorite surprise gift....a new lilac bush...and it's ready to bloom!


 Nothing better than Daddy's hand holding little chubby fingers....and baby sucking on shotshells?!?

This kid is always requesting lures for gifts ~ a necessity due to the fact that when he casts the lure is as good as gone.  



No comments:

Post a Comment