Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Best Mom or Worst Mom

Last week we left the kiddos with a babysitter during which time Nicholas decided to trim his hair.  He said he wanted a mohawk.  So, I decided I'd better repair his attempt.  Figuring it couldn't really hurt for a day, I finished the mohawk and told him I would be shaving off the rest that evening.  He was the happiest little boy I've ever seen.  Shannon advised that the other boys had never been able to talk me into that hairstyle, so to make all things equal, the offer was thrown out there to whichever boys wanted a mohawk for a day.  The only one in the bunch who declined was Eric.  He wasn't too hip on the idea of a buzz going into the colder part of the year.  The others figured that's what hats are for!

While relating the story to Father Stu he said the entire thing was not too smart on my part, pointing out that a lot of men in jail have said hairstyle.  He felt it indicated a rebellious attitude.  Now, I'm trying to decide whether my boys' excitement made me eligible for Mom of the Year or by allowing them to look like punks for a day disqualified me permanently!

Observing a science project ~
learning how convection currents work.





Daddy making sure the job was completed ~


2 comments:

  1. Thats hilarious! Im sure that is something your boys will remember forever. Definately good mama points!
    marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for that babysitter - little Amy did the same thing to me when I was babysitting years and years back when Rose & Steve lived here. Boy was I mortified!

    I think Fr. Stu should give you more credit. Whatever the boys associate the mohawks with, you indulged them for a day, and then let them know it wasn't appropriate to keep. I think kids are sometimes allured by the things they can't have and desire it even more. You've got pictures to prove they got to have a mohawk once. In a similar way, I know a mom that let her little girls color their hair and do different colors when they were too little for it to mean anything. The novelty wore off by the time they were old enough to "make a statement" with purple streaks in their hair.

    I bet your boys gave you gold stars! loveyoumeanit...

    ReplyDelete