Tuesday, March 31, 2015

John

Our good family friend, John, passed away Friday evening.  We were supposed to have some folks out for dinner but when asked if I'd sit with John so his son and wife could have a short break after weeks of caring for John through some pretty intense moments I cancelled our plans, knowing it could be one of the last times I was able to spend time with John.  I was enjoying the quiet, able to read without interruption, when I decided to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet.  Choosing holiness isn't something that comes naturally to me and embarrassingly, I don't know the Chaplet well, so I first had to download an app.  Shortly after finishing the Chaplet, John's breathing changed so I did a few things to comfort him, then knelt by his bed and held his hand and prayed, at first silently, then aloud as it quickly became apparent these were his last breaths.  

While it was not what I'd have chosen to do on a Friday night, I feel so incredibly privileged to have been a part of such an intimate moment in a loved one's life.  I pray that John is now dancing with his bride, Mary.  He was so looking forward to seeing his beloved wife once again.  

John, you will be missed!  Every time I have a glass of wine, I'll remember you!






No comments:

Post a Comment