Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Child Rearing Ideals

Before our first child we I had all sorts of ideas how our children were going to be raised.  It can be summed up in one word, "PERFECT."  After all, we were going to be perfect parents to perfect children.  It makes me laugh, and occasionally cry, looking back on our idealism.
I had thought of everything...right down to our children not having bottles.
Then, real life happened and we found ourselves with an almost-two-year-old that needed a bottle morning and night, warmed please, and make-it-snappy. Lately, I have been lamenting the fact that we could not break Nicholas of his bottle.  He can be such a pickle that we found it easier to appease him and the bottle habit continued.  Nicholas ended up solving the problem for us.
Now, I really should not laugh about this because we could have had a serious injury on our hands, but as the saying goes, "All's well that ends well."
Shannon was reading to the kids, I had went to bed early.  Nickles was playing in the kitchen, when he began to cry.
Upon entering the kitchen we found this ~


He had discovered a knife on the counter (another ideal out the window) and proceeded to massacre his bottle, cutting his hand in the process.  
So that's that.  I am not buying a new one and ironically, he hasn't asked for his bottle since then.  The bottle stage is over.  I must admit it does make me a little sad ~ just last week I could still pretend he was a little baby while rocking him to sleep.  Now, that ship has sailed...boohoo!



1 comment: