Monday, January 13, 2014

Trust

Last January Shannon and I went to Hawaii.  At one point we were snorkeling on a reef of which Shannon knew the layout much better than I.  When the waves came up, I wanted to return to shore immediately while he insisted on the correct thing, skirting the deep edge of the reef.

"Just hold my hand and I'll get you back to shore." 

In a panicked state, I took off straight for the beach only to bump into the shallows, literally, with my knee and hit a sea urchin whose spines embedded in my knee.  At that point, fear really struck as I realized I was bleeding, thus chumming, and ripped my snorkel mask from my face so I wouldn't be looking down when the shark struck, doggie paddling back to shore.  That's the literal description.  I now wish I had stayed with my spectacular, wonderful, incredibly wise husband.  
~the last sentence was written at gunpoint ~  

After dragging myself ashore I tried to remove some of the spines, but they just kinda crumbled, so I figured in time they would fester and the body would naturally expel them.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

In May I headed to the doctor because my knee was hot, infected and I could still see some remaining pieces. He dug around a bit and pronounced everything removed.

Months went by, yes months, and my knee was still not back to normal and it had an ungodly lump right on the knee cap.  It looked lovely and it made doing anything on my knees quite uncomfortable.   I thought I'd better seek medical advice before Max arrived, or rather Shannon not-so-subtly mentioned it.  A large cyst that had almost wrapped around the tendon was excised and I skipped out of the office believing the ordeal over.

Except it wasn't.

Weeks later, exudate was still oozing from my knee.  But then Max arrived and I would have gladly forgotten about it except one morning my knee was so swollen and red that it was painful to bend.  Today another cyst was removed and I was told that if this didn't heal up it's off to the orthopedist to determine how this has affected my joint.  Shannon, while concerned....kind of.....continued to remind me how it would be best if I never leave him.  "It would kill ya, Babe." 

The moral of the story for me is God is right there to hold our hand, to guide us through life, yet we shove Him aside to swim on our own.  We believe we know the best way, the best route, when God in His infinite wisdom has a better path for us to follow, it's just not in our time.  He will hold our hand and show us the way through the swells we are unable to see over.  When we are feeling as though we will drown, all we need to do is reach out and grasp his fingers that are always opened towards us, always waiting for us...........and TRUST.




No comments:

Post a Comment