Monday, September 26, 2011

Homeschool History

I often find history a bit of a difficult homeschool subject.  It is not an area that particularly fascinates me, so it is a bit overwhelming every year as I choose curricula.  My children do not need a mother that drones on and on.  When a friend recommended "The Story of the World" series I was a bit skeptical but conceded it could not be any worse than what we were using.
All I can say is we are having so darn much fun!  I fill in pieces that seem to be missing, but overall it has been the best choice this year.  The best project was Archaeology Field Day.  Katherine buried objects in the sand box that would clue her siblings in to what our civilization was like.
So, we didn't find all the objects, but do you know how many items from previous years were discovered?
And what a quiet respite for Momma while they searched!  Do you know how long it takes to unearth a sandbox with paintbrushes???






Of course we had our cheaters when they thought Momma wasn't looking.
Joshie grabbed a trowel whenever an opportunity presented itself and made like an excavator.  




Annika and Dom lucked out when they discovered a yellow package with some peculiar seeds that melted in your mouth, not in your hand.
What a brilliant civilization this people was!



Nicholas determined that the green handled cutting tool must have been used for...well, cutting.

.

And so I am happy with history this year.  Any book that leaves the mother and children excited for the next lesson and disappointed that it's the weekend must be worth something!


Other random happenings around the hacienda ~
Pickle making ~ they are so yum.  Annika made them pretty much all by herself and is delighted when Daddy gobbles them up.




This was Joshie's discovery at an estate sale.  After three years of homeschooling I have complete empathy for every teacher who has ever complained about the lack of decent pencil sharpeners and pencils.
The sharpeners these days are complete junk and the pencils, worse.  This little baby made my day, my week, my YEAR!
I was so enamored that two boxes of pencils were immediately sharpened ~ it was just too exhilarating.




We were driving down the highway and this car flew past us like her tires were on fire.
Shan commented dryly, "She took everything, including the kitchen sink."

And I laugh every time the pic comes up on our screensaver.  



No comments:

Post a Comment