Friday, December 20, 2013

Maximo ~ the Heavyweight

 When we left the hospital Max was a shave over four pounds. Obviously growth was a concern.  Going into cold/ flu season he needed a little extra weight, and fast, in the event he did get sick.  I pumped and boosted that milk with powdered formula to get extra calories into him.  He was gaining well, at least an ounce a day, but his tummy was always upset.  So we came up with a better plan.  Now, at the risk of sounding like a Holstein, I pump off the watery foremilk and feed Max a few bottles a day of the creamier stuff that follows. A bit of a pain but it's working quite well, no more upset tummy and he gained like a champ this week, better than the boosted milk even!  Suddenly, after surpassing the six pound mark Max has realized that eating is his favorite pastime.  I loved his little "krill" stage, now it seems as though he is growing before our very eyes!

We have made an appointment for a consult with a pediatric neurologist to have an MRI so if anything does happen in the future we have a good baseline of his cerebellum.  And it will be good to be armed with as much information as available so we know what to expect or plan for if at all possible.  I'm kind of excited to see what the doctor says, just because that's how I roll.  The entire body is fascinating, but the brain especially so.    

Max is seeming to act more and more like a normal baby, not just a little doll.  His eye contact has been fantastic, getting noticeably better these past few days.  I can't wait for those first little smiles.  I told the rest of the kiddos he'd smile sooner if they talk to him a lot.  I walked into the kitchen last night and casually said, "Hey Max." Nicholas immediately corrected me, "No, Mom, you need to say it this way, " then in a sing-song voice immediately began to demonstrate how Max should be spoken to.  "Hi little Maximo.  How are yooooooou?"  

In the midst of everyday life it often seems as though everything is normal, like Max's history is just a bad dream.  We ordered his medical records just so we (I) don't forget.  It is apparent while reading through them what a miracle we hold in our hands.  As I sat in the Costco parking lot today nursing and listening to Christmas music I just began crying.  For the first time postpartum it wasn't because I was feeling "blue," it was because I was so darn happy.  No matter what Christmas gift I ever receive in the future, it will never compare to the gift we now hold.



1 comment:

  1. What a blessing he is! Sounds like he's bringing out the best in everyone. I pray your hungry little boy keeps growing stronger and healthier! loveyoumeanit...

    ReplyDelete