Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Creek

Typically during a given summer we'll go to the creek, but this summer we didn't go, spending time at Grandpa's lodge pond before it sold and Grandma and Grandpa's house pond with the cousins.

The past couple weeks when the days were hot we headed to the creek after school.  The kiddos built a nice dam in the creek so they had a decent place to jump in.  The last day we went down someone had dismantled the dam.  I'm betting a green leaning individual saw all the fish trapped behind the dam and decided to release them.  When Nickles spotted this he stood there, arms crossed, saying some not-so-nice words, completely dismayed that all their hard work had been for naught.  It was a bit cooler that day too, so as Nickles sat there later, teeth chattering, he lamented, "The mans bwoke my dam, they made it cold, they made the water cold and I'm fweezin'. I don't wike dose mans."  

Atta boy.  When things go awry, find someone to blame.

That story aside, the creek is so peaceful.  Especially in the fall, my heart feels at rest there.  Jewel toned leaves bobbing by, moss waving in the flow, sparkling rocks....it all fills my heart right up to the top.

One of the awesome benefits of being down there is the lack of cell reception.  I simply check out.  It gives my soul time to rest and just be.  It's almost a mini retreat when I take along some spiritual reading.

Next summer we need to spend more time together, little creek.


Despite forbidding toys being taken to the creek, they always magically appear.
Bizarre, I say.







This water is awesome ~ and the rocks are yummy!



Doing laundry with wipees ~





Another toy ~ and they're rarely small.



Building a little "fish pool."



Black pipe made a fantastic toy to blow bubbles ~





Sketching something ~








No comments:

Post a Comment