Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bits of This and That

Friday night we celebrated Father's Day with my family, minus a couple siblings. We were blessed to at least have my sister's "representatives" with us while she and her husband are in the hospital. 

"I want candy....."     Just kidding, it was only a raspberry...followed by a bowl of ice cream!


My mother has told me all about you....but since you gave my sis some sweets...hmmmmm.

It is always good to have everyone together, but tonight was special with Theresa's babies ~ how everyone loved them up.  Kath drew the short straw (in reality, all my kiddos were arguing over who got to stay) and spent the night to help with the girls.  Burning the midnight oil with a crying babe did nothing to dampen her hopes of having her own someday.  She did spend the afternoon napping, however.  Maybe now she will understand when I pass out every afternoon when I snuggle down to read with Dominic. 

Which brings me to the subject of napping....it is the greatest.  I now believe all the studies on the benefits of the afternoon siesta!  The 3-year-old in residence is not too hip on taking a nap, it is was a daily struggle to get him to lay down and even rest for a while ~ until we discovered the Oliver Pig books!  Now, every day, he and I snuggle into my bed at naptime, read a book from that series, which is being supplemented by Grandmere, and check out.  I have never been one to adhere rigidly to a schedule, but our days have been immensely more peaceful since he has been napping regularly.  Oh, and did I mention how awesome I feel for the rest of the day???  Shannon has commented on the fact that I am not the one falling asleep in my food during dinner any more!  This past week we kinda slipped back into our whatever-happens routine and it frankly did not work out so well.  I was grumpy come Friday, not to mention what a turkey Dom had become!  Anyway ~ when I see that kid peacefully asleep on a rainy afternoon, actually any afternoon, I am one happy camper and when Momma's happy, everyone is happy! 


And as for rainy afternoons, well, we have decided if we wait for the weather to get better we'll be sitting inside for a mighty long time, at which point it will probably begin snowing again.  So, this past week a friend and I loaded up our cherubs, fifteen between the two of us, and headed off for a hike. The temp kept dropping on the vehicle thermometer but we had a blast.  We hiked up to a waterfall and got soaked, but it beat sitting inside eating M& M's...well kinda. 

The beginning of the trail...see how they are all pretty much together...shortly after, they left us mothers in the dust, or mud as it may be, for parts unknown. 

He had to avoid the mud puddles,only to race into the creek ten minutes later. 

We were mostly still smiling! 



Oh, that was bear poop that we stepped over at the beginning of our hike...well, they were nowhere near after hearing my singing! 

And a few more pics from our Father's Day evening ~


Shannon giving Joshie some pointers.

Uncle Matt, showing 'em how it's done, or just throwing him to first base.


Okay, Eric, you don't throw the ball at the runner.



Happy Father's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment