Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Random Thoughts and Rainy Days

My aunt used to refer to their family as "The Zoo." While this may conjur up a bit of a chaotic image, I LOVED it. In my 14-year-old mind it was busy but not in a pull-out-your-hair way. Now that I am the mother in a similar situation, especially on the rainy days we have been enjoying (and I use that term loosely) the irony of what a "zoo" it must have been is not lost on me! What I witnessed in their family is similar to what anyone may see on a trip to a zoo: elephants ambling slowly around, penguins splashing about, even the monkeys are only there to entertain.  Now I realize the zoo that my aunt and uncle saw was not necessarily the same zoo I saw.  Monkeys swinging from the trees is not always a delight, especially inside the house, and can even be worse when the "monkey" is outside and at eye level with you, and you are on the second story of the house.  We are in for a few days of rain and my monkeys are bouncing off the walls ~ hopefully we'll make it to sunny days in one piece!

Two dancing monkeys ~


Speaking of zoos, we live in one in more ways that one.  Michaela and some friends were running up our hill yesterday when she jumped over this ~ literally.



Can you see it, can you see it?!?  Here's a closer look.


It's an elk calf.  This is the second one we have stumbled across in our years on the hill.  
Everyone was pulling for keeping it, but we nipped that idea in the bud. 

Grandpa gave everyone journals this weekend.  Eric was begging me to tell him the story of the day he was born. I told him we saved those stories for birthdays and he didn't have too much longer to wait.  He stated that would be too long, he was writing his life story (all nine years) and he needed a little extra information on the earlier years.  After I told him that he could practice patience and fill in that part after his birthday he came up with a new plan, he would write down all the amazing things that happened to him....but only from the present forward. 

Even though we are looking forward to rain for a few more days we did get some good water time in this weekend.  The jumping rock saw it's first action of the season and Dom broke out the sprinkler for a dash or two! 

Oooo, it does look cold..there might be some seaweed in there....should I, should I???


I am the bravest!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!  Was it a shriek of terror or delight....I'm not sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment