Sunday, June 12, 2011

Feelin' Alive

When I was a teenager I rode my horse, or anyone's horse that might be boarding at our house, all over the hills behind my parents house.  We would run up and down just for the sheer fun of it.  The horse may not have been having a ton of fun, but I sure was.  Sometimes, I would head out and run up and down the same hills myself.  The feel of the wind in my face, the brush beating against my legs made me feel so alive, so powerful....like I could conquer the world. 
Today, when my cousin mentioned she was going biking with her brothers, I jumped at the chance to get out of the house and invited myself along.  I am more of a road biker, I like it fairly smooth, or so I thought.  Michaela and Katherine went along, I needed an excuse to not look like I was totally draggin' up the hill, thus I could claim I was waiting for them.  Truth be told, Michaela kept up with the boys despite her lack of mountain biking experience.  She always throws herself in to what she's doing wholeheartedly, unless it's another English assignment!  Katherine was more cautious, but chugged right along.  The flowers, the air, the clouds were constantly threatening rain, but the sun kept beating them back...it was GLORIOUS.
I threw my camera back in the vehicle prior to taking off, thank my lucky stars, as I had a couple wrecks that I wish no one had seen.  I was unable to capture the beauty of the day but at least I still have a functioning camera.  Tonight, as I sit here with sore legs and scratches galore, I simply feel alive. I could conquer the world and may try tomorrow! 


Pre-ride with my girls



There are some nights we are pretty hard up for excitement here on the hill.  We have an old stock tank that we fill up with hot water, our "redneck hot tub."  It is awesome...no worries about dirt in it or splashing too much water out!  We filled it up on a rainy night this past week and had two hours of peace as it kept my two busiest boys, well busy.  They came in completely pruned and were experienced scuba divers...well at least they could hold their breath for a long time! 




Friday nights would find most people at a movie, dinner, a baseball game...something!  Not us, we were having turtle races....isn't that at least as gripping as watching, say, a golf tournament? 




The End....

No comments:

Post a Comment