Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Special Gifts

I love bowls, I love beautiful salads, mostly I love beautiful salads in beautiful bowls, they simply taste better.
Last winter Shannon purchased a new washer and dryer set for me, I promise this this will come full circle. The washer was a necessity but I choose to believe it was because he loves me sooooo much.  For some reason the washer began uncontrollably shaking amid the 3rd or 25th cycle, I was climbing out of a mountain of laundry and lost track.  I figured it wouldn't hurt the washer to complete the cycle, but it did hurt my favorite bowl perched atop my kitchen cabinets.  It shattered all over the floor and I cried. It was my favorite bowl after all, and I really, really liked it.  There was always compliments paid when something was served in that bowl.  Its demise was all Shannon's fault because he had not ensured the washer was properly level.  Really mature, I know.  In hindsight, the bowl was a source of too much pride and it needed to go.  Shannon assured me that I would get over it like everything else that broke around our house.  He was right, I promptly forgot about it. 
BUT, my mother did not.  It was a unique bowl, kinda funky and held a lot of salad.  So, for my birthday what did she surprise me with?  This awesome bowl.  It is way better than the deceased one, it is not as wide as the prior one, but longer, not so obtrusive on a table, but still holds as much....I LOVE it. 
Thanks Mom, you are the most thoughtful ever...how did you have it so long and not forget about it??  Just kidding! 


Speaking of gifts, little Nicholas has not been feeling so hot the last few days...maybe he is as under-the-weather about the weather as the rest of us.  He has a line of willing snugglers around, it fills my heart to see how they each love him up.  Sometimes only mama will do, but a good share of the time any ole lap will suffice. What a gift that is for me, although at times I suspect they may be overly willing to read to him just so they can miss doing the dishes!  "What, you were looking for us?  Well, Nicholas was really crabby.  The dishes are done?!?  Look, he's feeling all better now, the trampoline is calling our name!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment