Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Good Times

This beautiful August morning as I sit here cuddled up in a sweater, I am reminded of the summer Shannon and I were married.  That summer every day was hot til mid-afternoon, when the storm clouds rolled in and it cooled off.  That kind of weather kinda puts a damper on evening picnics but the cool nights and mornings are glorious!   

Marshmallow, anyone?  


Yesterday, we had a picnic planned, basket packed, water bottles filled, and were meeting friends on top of a mountain when the clouds began rolling in.

Red Mountain, as seen from our deck, was our destination.


The guys made a commando decision to forge ahead.  Good thing too, we had a couple bags of licorice that were calling our names and a little bit-o-rain wasn't going ruin that!  The clouds magically broke and the evening sun was warm, the company awesome, and that licorice....need I say more? 

We picnicked with some of Shan's friends from "back in the day" whose children are grown.  The delight they took in our cherubs filled my heart with joy. We I often see the faults in those around me...and since that's typically my children...well, you get the picture!  Seeing my children through the eyes of others was a gift.  They are not the average kids, sorry to those of you with "average kids!" 
Rich & Deb reminded me that my family is special, that my kiddos are the best.  Even though they can be spunky, that is what keeps our life spicy! 

Photos, courtesy of Michaela




We hiked the flume on Red Mountain ~ "hiked" is used very loosely, it was more of a stroll, the kids lying down whenever the spirit moved them to take a sip of the water flowing beneath them.  OK, so it was more the boys constantly dipping into the water because they were sooooooooooo thirsty. 


Michaela thought we should come back up and take family pics for the year, which is a fantastic idea! 



Joshie will probably look just the same in all our family pictures for the next year ~ the kid always has to be doing something off-the-wall silly. 
Reminds me of someone I grew up with...who was it, who was it???
Oh yes, my lovely brother, Matt. 
He turned out alright, so there is hope. 
Maybe.
Kind of. 
Oh dear, I'd better not overanalyze this one. 

Here's to more evening hikes and a blissful month of August! 

No comments:

Post a Comment