Monday, November 4, 2013

Hunting

Recently, a friend asked me if I ever felt a bit bitter about hunting.  My immediate response was that hunting season afforded me the freedom to do a few things that I typically wouldn't do if Shannon was around and I was just used to hunting season since that's what I grew up with. But after thinking about it for a while, Shannon's hunting doesn't bother me for other reasons.

First of all, if I ever need Shannon to stay home, he does in a heartbeat.  Often, even if I don't know that I need him home, he knows that I need him home and won't go hunting.  I know that I'm his priority so I have never felt like a "hunting widow."  Over the years, he has made sure I have time for me, so I feel hunting season is time for him.

When Shannon comes home after a good hike or hunt he is invigorated and that fills my heart up.  I see the man I married when he arrives home with a good story, his voice filled with the excitement of one of the kids. He is able to give more at home and to work when his cup is full.  What better way to fill it than spending time in God's creation!

The way he shares his love of the outdoors with the kiddos relieves me of some of the stress of having all the kids at home by myself.  Even him taking one or two makes things just a wee bit easier at home, kind of a "divide and conquer" approach.  And....I do have to admit that when Shannon is not at home, our dinners are super laid back.....something that simplifies my life a bit!

There is also the fact that I love how Shannon is slightly grizzled and woodsy when he arrives home from a couple days hunting.  Maybe the mountain man look kinda works for me.  He keeps saying he is going to make a "mountain man" cologne and see if it sells.  Who knows, it may!

The bottom line is I love what hunting does for Shannon.  He doesn't take advantage of the season, he has his cherubs with him, and he is renewed body and soul.

So, my dear friend, had my brain engaged before my mouth, this is what I would have said ~:o)


Our annual leaf walk














3 comments:

  1. Beautiful insights, Allison... If you would have answered the question that way when I asked, I probably would have cried :} Pray that God softens my heart to see the beauty in hunting season too. It was so wonderful spending time with your family on Sunday...it was good for all of our hearts, and we are so blessed to be your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post caught my eye and made me laugh. My sixth grade niece down here asked me a week ago if I've ever been hunting and then told me that she has a strong urge to go hunting. She couldn't say why, though I have my suspicions. She doesn't like/eat game meat, as far as I can tell. She doesn't shoot. I got a good laugh about it, but I did tell her about my amazing cousins in Montana who all hunt and how both the girls and boys get to hunt. Hope it is a fruitful season for all of you. loveyoumeanit....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuuny post, you are so lucky that Shannon is able to hunt and you happily let him.
    Kevin hasnt gone hunting since before we were married and his moose horns are still sitting
    on the living room floor waiting to be re-mounted. Marissa

    ReplyDelete