Monday, November 25, 2013

Home!

The NICU nurses and doctor had been mentioning we may be able to return home Monday, but when on Saturday they began giving us paperwork my hopes began to rise that we may escape a bit earlier.
After going to Mass with Amy on Sunday, I was at our little motel room, when Max's nurse called with discharge paperwork.  Of course the iPad, my only means of communicating with Shannon had been left in Max's room.  I frantically packed up our belongings, then jogged back to the hospital....100 steps across the parking lot, across a street, 64 paces down the sidewalk, 102 steps crossing a second parking lot, then 4 blocks to the front doors of the hospital and up to the 6th floor.  Yep, I had paced it off a few times trying to focus on anything but creepies lurking in the shadows.

Shannon was preparing to leave home when I finally reached him, but he made super-quick time up to get us.  The kiddos were not aware that we'd be returning the same evening so it was a bit of a surprise to them. Unfortunately, their mother had posted it on FB which they saw about 15 minutes prior to our arrival.

So, we are home.  A new normal is beginning to reveal itself.  The forthcoming months will be crazy and I'll always be a bit watchful as we observe Max for all the milestones he will need to physically achieve.
But....like Shannon keeps reminding me, we are in the bonus round now.  Anything from here on out is an extra ~ we have our little boy home!


I'll let the pics speak for themselves ~


















4 comments:

  1. So precious! Looking at all the pictures of all the kids holding their new sibling brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love at first sight, huh? What a special blessing to be thankful for this week - and no more lurking around parking lots for you! God bless your homecoming and the days ahead! loveyoumeanit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Amazing! I saw this on the back of the Carroll College Sunday mass program yesterday and thought of you and your post on the handprint of God--It's the reflection for the week:

    "Let us think about the hands of God, who fashioned us as an artist. He has given us eternal life. They are pierced hands. They accompany us along the path of life. Let us entrust ourselves to the hands of God as a child entrusts himself to his father."
    -Pope Francis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell little Max is in very good hands: yours', Shannon's, your kids', and the Lord's! He is one blessed little boy!!! Can't wait to hold him soon too (even if you make me wear a mask...I look good in blue!) :o)

    ReplyDelete